updates

About evtouch, it looks mostly superfluous with two possible exceptions. First it has a potentially different calibration correction, though it looks a bit odd so I don't think that's much of an argument to keep it around longer. Second it might actually handle rotation a bit better than evdev. But the rotation scaling bug in evdev should get worked out in the near future.

I think the extra correction/scaling factors in evdev should permit us to compensate until the driver itself swaps the ranges properly. Which gets us back to the question of how users are initiating rotation and if that's considered a well supported feature.

I also don't know how much work would be involved in removing all references and autoconfigs that point to evtouch. So I don't know how much work removing it would be.

-wacom does not support true multi-touch. Even the protocol to make the driver do gestures is a little bit different and would require effort to adjust other kernel drivers to support. So I don't think any effort spent on utilizing wacom for any form of MT support will assist with long term plans, and I don't think that its limited support is worth seeking even for short term goals.

I've done a bit of drawing tests and do not see an advantage to using -wacom even for single touch operation, as compared to -evdev. For the pen, the pressure curve feature does give it a distinct advantage for pressure aware drawing (gimp, xournal...), and so I think its worth keeping as is.

A user on the forums has asked for help getting his brand new Studio 17 with N-Trig touch screen working. Wacom handles resolution a little differently than evdev (perhaps the result of knowing the physical specifications of every device that the driver is intended to support). The ntrig driver is emitting coordinates on the same logical grid (9600x7200), though the physical range is actually larger for the 17" screen. I don't know if the hardware or hid is scaling from physical to logical coords, but its really too late to explore switching that for lucid.

In short, evdev should be fine for touch, even if wacom might not be as ok. And for pen, it doesn't come with one, and I don't know if the sensor even handles pen input, so that's not a terribly high priority concern.

The user has been experiencing extra clicks instead of a smooth drag. I had him collect a dump of events during a sequence of physical actions. I'm currently digging through those to determine if the sensor is having trouble and loosing contact or if the driver is toggling touch when it shouldn't.

evdev over wacom for ntrig touch
wacom for ntrirg pen, for now
wacom not interesting for multi-touch discussion

Rafi

Follow ups