Re: HID as a module?

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Stéphane Chatty <chatty@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> this may have been discussed already, but have you considered building HID
> as a module in the kernel? This would make things easier for owners of new
> multitouch machines: each new product needs to be referenced in hid-core.c,
> and one needs to recompile the whole kernel if hid is not a module.

Yes, we discussed this a few weeks ago and decided to modularize the
HID module. This enabled me to build a package for the Apple Magic
Mouse device in the multitouch PPA. This system allows us to be very
flexible even on a released kernel, and it's rather easy for users to
install packages from a PPA.

If you have other devices that you want to put into a PPA we should
coordinate. If there was a different package for different drivers
only one could be installed at a time because they would clobber each
other. I'd be happy to integrate drivers if that's what's needed,
since I've already got the packaging foundation for the magicmouse
driver.

-- Chase