Re: New Synaptics I2C multitouch driver

Chase Douglas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I saw a new patch series for a multitouch capable synaptics touchscreen
> over the I2C interface fly across the linux-input mailing list over the
> weekend. The driver was first proposed in December, and this is the
> latest of subsequent revisions since then. It still has a ways to go
> before full inclusion into the upstream kernel, so it won't land in
> Maverick by default. We could pull it in as is, but my gut instinct
> tells me there aren't many devices that can run Ubuntu that have such a
> touchscreen. I think these devices are meant more for phones, PDAs,
> PMPs, etc. If anyone thinks this is of use to merge into our kernel,
> please speak up :).

I looked at it in the weekend, and I my guess is the driver has a long way to go
yet. It needs to be properly split up, affects several subsystems, and generally
contains lots of problems. Put in words typical to the LKML: "don't merge this
crap". ;-)

That said, it does contain insight into the RMI4 protocol, as well as a detailed
implementation of the MT events. So we are definitely getting there, just not yet.

Henrik