[Question #120997]: How can I check to make sure my MT device is working?

New question #120997 on utouch:
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/utouch/+question/120997

You need to make sure you know your input device, first. See above.

First, evtest the dev node. For example, if you've got an MT device at /dev/input/event5, then do the following:

  sudo evtest /dev/input/event5

You should see lots of data printed when interacting with the device.

If, however, you see no data or evtest doesn't support your MT device, you can use lsusb against the usbmon functionality of the debug filesystem instead:

  sudo  cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/usbmon/ \
   `lsusb | \
    grep -i N-Trig | \
    cut -f 2 -d ' ' | \
    sed 's/^0\+//' | sed 's/$/u/'`

What this basically does is tells you (hopefully) that the device is connected and recognized at the raw USB device level. usbmon show you the traffic between the device and the kernel.

Multi-touch Development, which is an answer contact for utouch.