Re: script to detect MT devices

* Henrik Rydberg <rydberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> [2010-08-19 11:05 +0200]:
> On 08/19/2010 10:44 AM, Rafi Rubin wrote:
> > Nice script.
> >
> > My only reluctance to both the shell and the python, is:
> > # See linux/input.h
> > ABS_MT_POSITION_X = 0x35
> >
> > Its not likely the change any time soon or all that often, but it would
> > be nice to be able to use the constants straight out of the header files.
>
> > That sort of bit me already with the size of input_event on 32/64.
>
> Constants like these do not change, but I wanted to give a heads up for a
> possible change of the size of the ABS namespace. There are indications that it
> will change from 64 positions to something larger within a couple of kernel
> versions, which would mean more words in the capabilities line we are parsing.

To provision for the possible change of size of the ABS namespace, note
that my script already supports a command line option to scan for other
capabilities:

  # scan-for-mt-devices --help
  Usage: scan-for-mt-devices [OPTIONS]

    -h, --help            show this help message and exit
    -c CAPABILITY, --capability=CAPABILITY
                          Capability to look for, defaults to 53
    -i FILE, --input=FILE
                          Input sysfs directory, defaults to /sys/class/input

Hope that comes in handy.

--
Marc Tardif <marc.tardif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Freenode: cr3, Jabber: cr3@xxxxxxxxxx