Re: Peter Hutterer's thoughts on MT in X

On 10/06/2010 01:30 PM, Ping Cheng wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Chase Douglas
> <chase.douglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> If I remember correctly, actively grabbed events cannot be replayed.
>> Only passively grabbed events. Since passively grabbed events must start
>> within a particular window, this scenario will never occur.
>>
>> I suggest reading the XI protocol specifications and the X core protocol
>> specification, where the semantics and details of input grabbing are
>> discussed:
>
> Chase, you are right. I have messed up the master/core and
> passive/slave in my explanation. I need to get the terms and semantics
> right before I can comment more (that would take some time).
>
> What I wanted to make clear was:
>
> The spec and implementation need to
>
> 1.   provide an easy way for toolkits/client to support the most
> popular/used MT features, such as basic gestures;
> 2.   leave rooms for sophisticated MT toolkits/apps/clients to grow.
>
> For item 1, a smooth transition from XI (single touch events) to
> XI2.1, and vice versa, has to be carefully considered, with the
> posibility to turn XI or/and XI2.1 report/events off. Active and
> passive grabbing has to be tracked and probably managed. I am not
> exactly sure at which level though. I would think it is in X server?
>
> For item 2, I would think those sophisticated MT apps will occupy the
> whole desktop, i.e., there is only one MT app running and all MT
> events can only reach that app. So, there would be no competition or
> inconsistence there.

Hey Ping, great notes -- thanks. I've updated the UDS session blueprint
with them. You can see it here:
  https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/?searchtext=hci-n

(I'm not linking directly to the blueprint, as the names and thus URLs
are still in flux...).