Re: Peter Hutterer's thoughts on MT in X

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Chase Douglas
<chase.douglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I remember correctly, actively grabbed events cannot be replayed.
> Only passively grabbed events. Since passively grabbed events must start
> within a particular window, this scenario will never occur.
>
> I suggest reading the XI protocol specifications and the X core protocol
> specification, where the semantics and details of input grabbing are
> discussed:

Chase, you are right. I have messed up the master/core and
passive/slave in my explanation. I need to get the terms and semantics
right before I can comment more (that would take some time).

What I wanted to make clear was:

The spec and implementation need to

1.   provide an easy way for toolkits/client to support the most
popular/used MT features, such as basic gestures;
2.   leave rooms for sophisticated MT toolkits/apps/clients to grow.

For item 1, a smooth transition from XI (single touch events) to
XI2.1, and vice versa, has to be carefully considered, with the
posibility to turn XI or/and XI2.1 report/events off. Active and
passive grabbing has to be tracked and probably managed. I am not
exactly sure at which level though. I would think it is in X server?

For item 2, I would think those sophisticated MT apps will occupy the
whole desktop, i.e., there is only one MT app running and all MT
events can only reach that app. So, there would be no competition or
inconsistence there.

KISS is the rule that I always remind myself and others in my group to consider.

Ping