Just saying hello

Hello list,

just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone here. My name is Florian
Echtler, and I've done quite some multitouch development during my PhD
thesis, particularly with respect to gesture recognition.

I've briefly exchanged emails with Chase Douglas some weeks ago, and we
agreeed that there's a lot of similarity between our concepts. As they
were developed completely independent, it's probably not the worst
direction to take :-) (If you want to have a look yourself at what I
did, I'd be delighted if you to hear your opinion about chapter 3 of my
thesis at http://mediatum2.ub.tum.de/node?id=796958 ).

Implementation-wise, I've developed libTISCH - see http://tisch.sf.net/
and https://edge.launchpad.net/~floe/+archive/libtisch - which does some
things very similar to utouch, although tries to be OS-independent. (In
retrospect, all the effort to get it to run across Linux/Mac/Win was
probably a waste of time :-/ ).

Right now, I've put further work on libTISCH on hold for a while and am
experimenting with the newly introduced Firefox multitouch support
which, I think, is also quite promising as a development platform.

So right at the end, here's one question after all: I'm considering to
build a quick hack for Firefox to support multitouch in Ubuntu. This is
pretty straightforward using XI2, however, what I didn't quite get is
whether XI2 will currently deliver _multi-pointer_ events for
_multi-touch_ input. What would be the preferred way here?

Many thanks for reading so far,
Yours, Florian
--
0666 - Filemode of the Beast