Re: Just saying hello

Hello Florian,

> just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone here. My name is Florian

> Echtler, and I've done quite some multitouch development during my PhD
> thesis, particularly with respect to gesture recognition.
>
> I've briefly exchanged emails with Chase Douglas some weeks ago, and we
> agreeed that there's a lot of similarity between our concepts. As they
> were developed completely independent, it's probably not the worst
> direction to take :-) (If you want to have a look yourself at what I
> did, I'd be delighted if you to hear your opinion about chapter 3 of my
> thesis at http://mediatum2.ub.tum.de/node?id=796958 ).

Thank you very much for the link to your thesis. Having been through chapter
three, I agree that the concepts are very similar. Looking upon gestures as 2D
transformations inevitably leads to the primitives translate, scale and rotate.
I am also excited about the amount of detailed event handling thought through in
your thesis. We are in the process of reworking some of those bits, and your
input will be most welcome.

> Implementation-wise, I've developed libTISCH - see http://tisch.sf.net/
> and https://edge.launchpad.net/~floe/+archive/libtisch - which does some
> things very similar to utouch, although tries to be OS-independent. (In
> retrospect, all the effort to get it to run across Linux/Mac/Win was
> probably a waste of time :-/ ).

> Right now, I've put further work on libTISCH on hold for a while and am
> experimenting with the newly introduced Firefox multitouch support
> which, I think, is also quite promising as a development platform.
>
> So right at the end, here's one question after all: I'm considering to
> build a quick hack for Firefox to support multitouch in Ubuntu. This is
> pretty straightforward using XI2, however, what I didn't quite get is
> whether XI2 will currently deliver _multi-pointer_ events for
> _multi-touch_ input. What would be the preferred way here?

I believe what you would like to look at is the drafts of XI2.1.

> Many thanks for reading so far,

Keep us posted :-)

Thanks,
Henrik