Re: Peter Hutterer's thoughts on MT in X

Hi Rafi,

I like your wishful thinking. It inspired me to think and to understand.

However, there are some ideas I'd like to share which could be
different from yours. I think the key factor that made us see things a
bit differently lies in the different mindsets we have: research v.s.
industry oriented. This world needs both of those ways of thinking.

We should not plan for an ideal solution since it doesn't exist. We
can only stage our solutions and schedule changes into the plan.
Providing a basic gesture engine within, say 6 months, is better than
letting users wait for 6 years to get a complex solution. People can
not wait that long.

Instead of waiting for the ideal world to come, we live with this
"imperfect" world and improve ourselves. Sorry to sound like Laozi
although there is no way for me to cut that tie no matter how hard I
work on it ;-). My point is: we commit to a solution and a deadline
for our users. And we make our users happy. Then, we add more features
and improve the existing ones so we keep them happy. The world is
still not perfect. But we gained happy users.

Does this sound too far away from your reality?

Ping