Synaptics MT issues

Hey folks,

Chase and I have been discussing issues in our struggle to support MT on
Synaptics hardware. We tried to make some appropriate decisions, but
ultimately, to go any further, we need input from the MT community, from
Xorg hackers, and kernel hackers. We need consensus.

Chase can follow up with a more detailed email, but the problems boil
down to the following:
 * should MT touches be disabled when they occur over a button area?
 * should they just be disabled during a button press?
 * should this be done in X?
 * or in the kernel?
 * we don't know the full Synaptics protocol; does anyone know ways of
discovering if a touchpad has integrated or standalone buttons?

Chase, can you follow up with more technical details for folks and links
to patches you've experimented with? And forward this message to the
appropriate lists? There are some potentially subtle engineering issues
at play here (as you've noted) and we need more input before we go any
further.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone,