A gesture language

Hey folks,

As Mark initially mentioned in the uTouch announcement blog post, and
I've alluded to several times in posts of my own, we really want to
start developing a gesture language: a system for describing a series of
gestures to complete a (possibly complex) set of actions in various
applications, window managers, etc.

Stephen Webb and I have been brainstorming about how to get these
conversations started, and have defined some talking points for UDS.
I've just created session blueprints for them here:

 *
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/appdevs-dx-n-gesture-language-intro
 *
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/appdevs-dx-n-gesture-language-foundations
 *
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/appdevs-dx-n-gesture-language-api

The first session aims to get everyone into the same mental context.
We'll be talking about an example use case that Stephen and I have been
using to explore the problem space. I've got a blog post planned for
this that I hope to get out in the next couple days, and that should
give a better sense of what we mean by a "gesture language".

The second session will address some issues that Stephen and I ran into
recently. Deep, deep issues... almost application/hci metaphysics. This
will also likely get a dedicated blog post.

The last session will be the practical one. At that point, we will have
discussed (in the other sessions and hallway/bar conversations) a wide
range of issues that will impact a first draft of a gesture language.
The final step for UDS is to come up with a realistic development plan
for the current 6-month cycle.

More soon...