GEIS Catch-up Call

Hey folks,

Those working on or depending on the latest GEIS work just had a call to
catch up, get a sense of progress, and ask questions. I took some notes
below, but have asked Chase, Henrik, Stephen, and Ikbel to reply with
any corrections or addition thoughts.

Agenda:
 * current progress in GEIS 2.0 Implementation
   * estimation of time left on implementation
   * estimation of level of effort for DBus work
 * how the GIES changes effect grail (and vice versa)
 * how XI2.1 affects grail and/or GEIS
 * any questions, concerns, or ideas that are
   outstanding and need to be addressed

Notes:

 * GEIS Update
   * about a 1/3rd of the way through
   * written a backend that uses XCB (we can test against something
     that works -- Maverick!)
   * this backend being in place should now speed up development
   * functional GEIS 2.0 by January
   * DBus service location and private channel should be easy
   * defining the remote call API might be a little more tricky

 * DBus work
   * Ikbel will look at code that Stephen pointed to in his
     intro email
   * Ikbel will email us with his thoughts on this (e.g., "looks
     good" or "this won't work")
   * Ikbel will work on:
     * location part first (system bus as a means of initial app lookup)
     * second, setting up a private bus for actual comms between apps
     * and then follow behind Stephen, implementing the actual API

 * MT events through GEIS?
   * there's been discussion about this sort of thing through XI2.1
   * we can delay this until later, once it's been solved in XI2.1

 * Implementing Grail architectural changes
   * input-agnostic
   * what can be done, given XI2.1 isn't ready?
     * X events will still need to be processed, so work on that can
       begin now (without having to wait on XI2.1 being ready for
       Henrik)
     * the pumping mechanism may need hashing out
       * should be somewhere in GEIS
       * should we create a XI2.1 wrapper in GEIS?
       * this would suite generality
     * but Henrik should be able to create the transformation now
     * event subscription through X is pretty solid now, too
     * grabbing and replaying will come later (but maybe soon-later)
   * region definitions
     * we haven't talked about this or how those are dispatched
     * GEIS should take care of all that, using what's currently
       available in grail
   * first week in January:
     * insert touch events into grail
     * should be working with XI2.1