Re: A touch-enabled game for Natty?

On Dec 1, 2010, at 3:34 PM, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

> On 30/11/10 11:39, Ulrich von Zadow wrote:
>> I just wanted to re-post this link to some games that are already
>> designed for multitouch
>> use: https://www.libavg.de/wiki/index.php/Sample_Multitouch_Applications.
>> Maybe one or more make sense as demos? We can put some effort here
>> into making this happen :-).
>
> That would rock!

Sorry for taking so long to reply to what is obviously a great opportunity - it took a bit to get things sorted on our side. I now have commitments from the people responsible for five of the six games to update the code so it works with curent Ubuntu, and they're all very excited ;-). The games have been written with a fixed resolution in mind, one of them has non-redistributable media, etc., and we'll fix these things.

I also have a load of questions - maybe we can get some support for the stuff below. Also, I have no idea how Ubuntu development is organized, so please tell me what steps we need to take to get this to work :-).

1) Timeframe:
When do things have to be finished? The current plan is to get everything to run on our side in January, with packaging left after that. Any ideas for a more concrete plan?

2) libavg changes:
- I'll be working to get libavg, the library these games are based on, to run with whatever multitouch API will be available in 11.04. We have a working driver for libmtdev - will that suffice? Other options seem to be the kernel slot API and XInput. What's the state of XInput multitouch?
- The current libavg Ubuntu package is orphaned. I'll make a release in January - can someone assist us in getting the Ubuntu package updated? I don't think this is a lot of work, but no one here has any experience in that area.

3) Tests:
We'll have some multitouch hardware here, but not enough to really make sure nothing breaks. Is there a way to get things tested on a diverse set of hardware?

Ulrich von Zadow | +49-172-7872715
Jabber: coder@xxxxxxxxxx
Skype: uzadow