Re: multi-touch driver in mainline (hid)

> I coded the drivers for two USB multi-touch modules provided
> by DataModul. These belongs to the EasyTouch family.
> I did my work as an extension of drivers/input/touchscreen/usbtouchscreen.c
> in kernel 2.6.32
>
> Now I see that in latest kernels there is some work done in
> drivers/hid/hid-multitouch.c by Stephane Chatty.

There have been hid drivers and general usb drivers in the kernel
since 2.6.30. The latest one, hid-multitouch, is a joint effort to
unify a set of hid drivers. This will happen in 2.6.39.

> The question is very simple.
> Where is the correct place in kernel for the multi-touch input support?

It depends on your device. If it supports win7 HID extensions for
digitizers, adding it to hid-multitouch makes sense. If it is a HID
device but it does not quite fit, then it is a new hid driver (which
is really discouraged at this point). If it is general usb, then
somewhere under drivers/input - there are MT drivers in touchscreen,
tablet and mouse.

> Sorry for the naive question, but I'm trying to get the difference
> between the two.
> Any doc available in kernel?

Check under Documentation/input/.

Henrik