Re: Many questions about Utouch on Dell XT2

Hello memtali,

> For multi-touch support I downloaded utouch, utouch-gesturetest, utouch-
> geis-tools and utouch-grail-tools from software center. Nothing changed.

These packages (after updating your system), are the same as the ones
found in the utouch ppa, which you installed separately below.

> I have found Canonical Multitouch page https://launchpad.net/canonical-
> multitouch . There I found the ppas for utouch which are deb
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/utouch-team/utouch/ubuntu maverick main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/utouch-team/utouch/ubuntu maverick
> main. I have added them to software sources then updated. I first
> upgraded the ones I have installed before.

With updates and universe clicked in repos, those packages should be
updated as well.

> Then I installed ginn.

For this one, it seems the ppa is indeed needed.

> Meanwhile I have found out that there is a new place where it writes
> "utouch" under "paid software" in the software center. I entered there
> and installed hid-3m-pct-dkms, hid-dkms, hid-magicmouse-dkms, hid-ntrig-
> dkms, libgrip-0.1-0, libgrip-0.1-dev, libutouch-geis-dev, libutouch-
> geis-doc, libutouch-geis1, synaptics-dkms.

Installing hid-ntrig-dkms from the ppa may make a difference if you
have the old touchscreen firmware which came with vista. However, if
your machine came with win7, it makes no difference. The other
packages should not matter for your setup.

> I read this document
> https://docs.google.com/View?id=dfkkjjcj_1482g457bcc7&pli=1
>
> Then I ran ginn and realized some multi-touch functions are working and
> ginn can define them. So far I have found out some working multi-touch
> functions. When ginn is running, in openoffice and inkscape I can
> control the zoom function by pinching my two fingers; in firefox I can
> scroll by moving two fingers up and down, but when ginn is not working
> these functions don't work. However without ginn is working, by pinching
> my three fingers, all the windows are seen on the desktop and I can
> choose any of them.
>
> These are all the multi-touch functions I could found out. Now I would
> like to ask following questions:

There is also a four-finger tap to bring up the dash. Otherwise, what
you mention is how far we got in Maverick regarding gesture
applications.

> • Is there an interface where I can see the preferences of multi-touch
> functions?

Not at this stage.

> • As far as I understood from canonical-multitouch page in launcpad
> utouch-geis, utouch-grail are programs with interfaces, are they
> installed in my computer or do I have to install them from .tar.gz
> packages in launchpad? (I couldn't find any .deb packages)

They are installed (contained in utouch-grail-tools and utouch-geis-tools).

> • When I turn the screen to a tablet, the screen doesn't change to
> portrait. Is the multi-touch functions also support this or is it
> unavailable at the moment?

This is a know bug.

> • When I turn the screen setting to portrait manually from the screen
> settings, both the touchpad and the screenpad don't recognize the
> screen. So when I try to tap on something on the screen cursor goes to
> irrelevant coordinates, is there solution for this?

This is another know bug, adressed in Natty.

> • I can't see any touch related menus on the screen, which works when a
> finger is hold on a certain place on the screen as I found from the
> document (https://docs.google.com/View?id=dfkkjjcj_1482g457bcc7&pli=1)
> how can I activate this?

This will be available in Natty.

> • Does the multi-touch functions also support multi-touch in the
> touchpad(I mean the one under the keyboard which is used as the mouse)?

The touchpad does not have a multitouch driver, but if it it did,
utouch would also work with it.

Thanks,
Henrik