Re: Utouch test application help

On Feb 16, 2011, at 1:42 AM, Kedar Dharmadhikari-Ennovate wrote:

Hi  Duncon,

I am facing a particular situation

We are using stylus on white board. The stylus reads X&Y Co- ordinates from the white board and send this co-ordinates to our custom application. The application pass this co-ordinates to multi touch device driver. The Driver takes the help of ginn library to generate the multi touch events and send it to the XOrg layer, the XOrg than passes the event to the application.

To pass the events to XOrg layer we have developed a multi touch device driver which sends a multi touch events to application (Evince and EOG in our case). But I am facing one problem while I can get the zoom in & zoom out event properly but I am facing lot of problem with rotate event. Whenever I rotate I face following problems

1) Rotation is not smooth. i.e. rotation is happening at 90 degrees only. I have developed the same kind of device driver in Windows 7, the rotation is very smooth. The image rotates at desired angle.
2)      We need to put lot of effort to rotate the image.

Can you guide me on this issue. I want to know is the problem is with my driver or there is some limitations in the applications(Evince or EOG in this case). Can we do full-fledged multi touch on Ubuntu 10.10?

Please let me know your input on this issue as it is very critical for me and my project.

Regards,
Kedar Dharmadhikari

Cody Russell is the engineer who has been working on our GTK apps. He has smooth-zooming implemented for evince. but for us, rotation only made sense done in 90-degree increments. Perhaps his smooth-zooming code would provide some hints for you?

Cody, is it technically possible to do a smooth-rotation?

Ikbel can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that it will not be possible to get smooth anything using ginn, since ginn maps gestures to key combos... and key combos usually resort in discrete actions.

I'll let the rest of the team reply with their insights...