New multitouch packages!

Hi all,

I've spent the last week and some rewriting the touch event handling
internals of the X server. At this point I feel much more confident
about how events are handled for touchscreens. The touch event delivery
is integrated with pointer event grabs, which is necessary for some
circumstances. For example, your window manager raises windows to the
front using a pointer grab. Now that touch events are integrated with
pointer grabs, we can raise touch aware windows properly.

I've also incorporated the XI 2.1 renaming that I described a little
over a week ago. Sorry for the delay as I worked on the above stuff.

The Natty feature freeze deadline is this Thursday, so we are looking to
upload the multitouch work by then. I'm hoping that we can get some good
test reports on Monday (which may be today if you're on the other side
of the world from me :), and then we can push the work to Ubuntu on Tuesday.

To meet these goals, I would like everyone who can to test out the
xorg-unstable ppa. Since the changes involve tweaking the core pointer
event handling in the x server, we need to know asap of any issues like
stuck buttons or an inability to move the cursor. Extra thorough testing
using multitouch touch screens would be double-plus good too :).

If you want to test out the multitouch features, I suggest installing
the qt4-demos package from the ppa. You can find four multitouch demos
in /usr/lib/qt4/examples/touch. I am hopeful that we may be able to push
Qt multitouch support into Natty as well, so testing here would be great
too! To see touch events, you can install the xinput utility from the
ppa as well and run "xinput test-xi2". However, it has a known bug right
now that may cause it to freeze your cursor when using a touchscreen
device. This is a bug with xinput itself, not with the stack, and if you
kill xinput it should return control of your pointer. Essentially,
xinput isn't always rejecting or accepting touches right now, and I
haven't had a chance to fix it up.

Thanks for your help!

-- Chase

Follow ups