Re: New multitouch packages!

Hi Chase,

> I've spent the last week and some rewriting the touch event handling
> internals of the X server. At this point I feel much more confident
> about how events are handled for touchscreens. The touch event delivery
> is integrated with pointer event grabs, which is necessary for some
> circumstances. For example, your window manager raises windows to the
> front using a pointer grab. Now that touch events are integrated with
> pointer grabs, we can raise touch aware windows properly.

Great!

> I've also incorporated the XI 2.1 renaming that I described a little
> over a week ago. Sorry for the delay as I worked on the above stuff.
>
> The Natty feature freeze deadline is this Thursday, so we are looking to
> upload the multitouch work by then. I'm hoping that we can get some good
> test reports on Monday (which may be today if you're on the other side
> of the world from me :), and then we can push the work to Ubuntu on Tuesday.
>
> To meet these goals, I would like everyone who can to test out the
> xorg-unstable ppa. Since the changes involve tweaking the core pointer
> event handling in the x server, we need to know asap of any issues like
> stuck buttons or an inability to move the cursor. Extra thorough testing
> using multitouch touch screens would be double-plus good too :).

Here are results from some preliminary test:

1. After grabbing, rejecting with XITouchOwnerRejectEnd seems to work,
but XITouchOwnerRejectContinue does not let the touches through to the
window manager.

2. Running mtview in XI mode reveals a problem with pointer logic -
the first finger is moving the pointer around, whereas the remaining
fingers paint the canvas. This holds true regardless of prior grabs
(like xinput test-xi2 running).

> If you want to test out the multitouch features, I suggest installing
> the qt4-demos package from the ppa. You can find four multitouch demos
> in /usr/lib/qt4/examples/touch. I am hopeful that we may be able to push
> Qt multitouch support into Natty as well, so testing here would be great
> too! To see touch events, you can install the xinput utility from the
> ppa as well and run "xinput test-xi2". However, it has a known bug right
> now that may cause it to freeze your cursor when using a touchscreen
> device. This is a bug with xinput itself, not with the stack, and if you
> kill xinput it should return control of your pointer. Essentially,
> xinput isn't always rejecting or accepting touches right now, and I
> haven't had a chance to fix it up.
>
> Thanks for your help!

And thanks for doing this! Awesome!

Henrik