Re: ginn and window recognition (was: Re: If you did not already know...)

Hi Pascal,

Thanks for your interest in Ginn.
I am moving the discussion to the multi-touch group.
The package you have found in that site is old and may not differentiate
between windows.
Try with the last package in launchpad.
https://launchpad.net/ginn

I am using libbamf for selecting windows.
https://launchpad.net/bamf
libbamf can be used out of unity, I use it in a standard gnome environment.
It is created after having problems with an older application matching
library which used matching by IDs and names.
 Neil is one of the main creator of libbamf and can tell you more about
problems encountered with the old lib and how to help you get it into
Debian.

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Pascal Giard <evilynux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Mohamed,
>   I've been playing a little bit with ginn and didn't understand how
> it recognizes windows.
> I then noticed that it's actually being developed as a project on
> launchpad and that there's a released package for Ubuntu Natty.
>
> The version I was playing with initially was taken from:
>  http://linuxfans.keryxproject.org/packages/ntrig/ginn/ginn.tar.bz2
>
> I took that link from the Ubuntu discussion thread there:
>  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1252492
>
> Taking ginn from Natty, I notice that it now depends on bamf to detect
> the windows.
> bamf itself depends on gir1.2 which would currently be a real pain to
> get to play along nicely on Debian unstable.
> (There are experimental packages, but they conflict with gir1.0 and
> current gnome, etc. Dependency mess.)
> I'll have a look to see if I can find a way to get bamf to work with
> gir1.0.
>
> My questions:
> I also notice that bamf seems to be very Unity-oriented, is it able to
> detect the application if one is not under Unity?
> Does the old ginn suppose to be able to actually detect the application
> window?
>
> GObject introspection may very well be the clean way to go and this
> may sound naive, but why not use the process IDs/names? Isn't there a
> another way to link a window to its process? I don't know if there's
> an API and/or if the Window IDs listed are truly good, but "xlsclients
> -al" gives some hope...
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Pascal
> --