Re: tablets and auto-rotation

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Private-sparsha-dev] tablets and auto-rotation
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:23:46 -0700
From: Bryce Harrington <bryce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Chase Douglas <chase.douglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: Alberto Milone <alberto.milone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,        Rick Spencer
<rick.spencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,        "Duncan M. McGreggor"
<duncan.mcgreggor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,        kees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/log/?h=randr-rotate-wacom-tablet

> > As Rafi said, this solution also involves setting a gconf key to tell
> > the daemon whether we want it to rotate input devices or not when
> > screens are rotated.
> >
> > Currently Federico's code makes use of the xsetwacom tool instead of
> > using Xinput (which is what we need). I'm very familiar with the
> > gnome-settings-daemon code and, if there's enough interest at
> > Canonical, I'm available to work on it but I don't own any Ntrig
> > touchscreen and I can't use my Stantum tablet because it doesn't work
> > with xinput Calibration.
>
> I'll second this approach. I believe this is the correct place to fix
> the issue. I'll let Duncan handle how to pour resources into this, but
> this looks promising.

Kees Cook was also working on patch to g-s-d to solve this problem on
his laptop at UDS.  IIRC, he'd also implemented it using xsetwacom, but
we'd also talked about the changes to xinput; I don't know if he updated
his patch for that, but I'm CCing him.

Kees - mind pointing us to your tablet rotation patch?  Would at least
be interesting to have it to compare with Federico's code.

Bryce