mysql-proxy-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: Looking for feedback - Short options for MySQL Proxy

Diego Medina wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I decided to start working on this blueprint:
>
> Chassis/Proxy should have short names for often used options
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/mysql-proxy/+spec/chassis-short-option-names
>

> and I'm looking for some feedback. I think that we should have short
> options being two/three letters, instead of only one.
> This is so that we can append one letter for the plugin name, and then
> another letter for the actual option.

As we want to stay with glibs GOption* functions we are limited to one
character only.

http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/stable/glib-Commandline-option-parser.html

> These are my ideas:
>
> (the ones with no short options are the ones _I_ think are not common,
> but if you think this is not the case, please let me know :)

We may want to check what the mysql-server uses as short-names. Keeping
the short-options with the same meaning makes their use a no-brainer.

$ mysqld --verbose --help | grep ' -[^-]'
  -a, --ansi          Use ANSI SQL syntax instead of MySQL syntax. This mode
  -b, --basedir=name  Path to installation directory. All paths are usually
  -C, --character-set-server=name
  -r, --chroot=name   Chroot mysqld daemon during startup.
  -h, --datadir=name  Path to the database root.
  -C, --default-character-set=name
  -T, --exit-info[=#] Used for debugging;  Use at your own risk!
  -?, --help          Display this help and exit.
  -L, --language=name Client error messages in given language. m
  -l, --log[=name]    Log connections and queries to file.
  -0, --log-long-format
  -W, --log-warnings[=#]
  -n, --new           Use very new possible 'unsafe' functions.
  -P, --port=#        Port number to use for connection or 0 for default
  -O, --set-variable=name
  -s, --symbolic-links
  -t, --tmpdir=name   Path for temporary files.
  -s, --use-symbolic-links
  -u, --user=name     Run mysqld daemon as user.
  -v, --verbose       Used with --help option for detailed help
  -V, --version       Output version information and exit.
  -W, --warnings[=#]  Deprecated; use --log-warnings instead.

>From that list we can use:
  -u, --user=
  -P could make to --proxy-address=
  -? is already there
  -V too
  -b, --basedir=
  -W could perhaps we mapped to --log-level=...

 Hmm, I assumed that list would be longer.

cheers,
  Jan
--
 jan: "Gee, Brain^WEric, what'd you wanna do tonight?"
eric: Same thing we do everynight: Take over the HelloWorld!