mysql-proxy-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: read/write splitting

John Goulah wrote:
> I understand there is a Lua script to do some read/write splitting,
> but I've heard its not production quality.  Is this right?

It is a proof of concept.

> What needs to be done to make this script production ready?  Is anyone
> else interested in this?

1) tracking of connection state:
   SET NAMES UTF8; -> make sure that "other" connection has the same state

   CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE ...; -> don't switch connection
   SELECT @a := @a + 1; -> don't switch connection

2) proper connection pool
2.1) the proxy should be able to create its own connections to the
backend if needed
2.2) password store
   to implement the 2.1 we need the password hashes or cleartext pass
   words for the accounts to open our own connections

That's pretty much it.

1) is all in scripting land, 2) is all in C-land.

cheers,
  Jan
--
 jan: "Gee, Brain^WEric, what'd you wanna do tonight?"
eric: Same thing we do everynight: Take over the HelloWorld!