mysql-proxy-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: read/write splitting

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Jan Kneschke <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John Goulah wrote:
>> I understand there is a Lua script to do some read/write splitting,
>> but I've heard its not production quality.  Is this right?
>
> It is a proof of concept.
>
>> What needs to be done to make this script production ready?  Is anyone
>> else interested in this?
>
> 1) tracking of connection state:
>   SET NAMES UTF8; -> make sure that "other" connection has the same state
>
>   CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE ...; -> don't switch connection
>   SELECT @a := @a + 1; -> don't switch connection
>
> 2) proper connection pool
> 2.1) the proxy should be able to create its own connections to the
> backend if needed
> 2.2) password store
>   to implement the 2.1 we need the password hashes or cleartext pass
>   words for the accounts to open our own connections
>
> That's pretty much it.
>
> 1) is all in scripting land, 2) is all in C-land.

I have some of this (2) implemented in my funnel branch, as we now
control the open/close of connections to a mysqld.

Its still a proof-of-concept, but any suggestions, patches etc would
be welcome. I ended up creating a seperate connection pool
implementation in the funnel, as it has some special requirements over
the connection pool used in the proxy plugin.