mysql-proxy-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: MySql Proxy 0.7.2 - Network timeout configuration

Hi Mike,

thanks for the hint. I tried it out and that works.
The only problem now is, that all running applications on the same will use this timeouts (postfix, telnet, ssh, etc.).

The running plattform is hosting some more virtual servers, all sharing the same kernel. So all applications in virtual servers will use the tuned timeouts. Don't shure if I become some other problems. The only way is to move the mysql-proxy to a dedicated hardware.

I have to think about that.

Many thanks
Urban

Mike Gent wrote:
While I can't speak about platforms, there are a few things on Linux you
can change. I'm surprised this hasn't come up earlier, b/c this is a big
deal with redundancy testing. When testing mysql-proxy between a primary
and failover server, don't just stop the primary DB, but shutdown the
primary host (shutting down a VM is easiest if possible). It will be
painfully obvious that the timeouts are going to be a problem.

Linux kernel config options at startup (RedHat/CentOS, not sure about
other distros):
net.ipv4.tcp_syn_retries = 0
net.ipv4.tcp_retries2 = 1

You can change these options while the system is running:
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syn_retries
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_retries2

Since not all systems will have options to change these timeouts and
retries, I +1 the need for an alarm thread in the proxy.