mysql-proxy-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: MySql Proxy 0.7.2 - Network timeout configuration

While I can't speak about platforms, there are a few things on Linux you
can change. I'm surprised this hasn't come up earlier, b/c this is a big
deal with redundancy testing. When testing mysql-proxy between a primary
and failover server, don't just stop the primary DB, but shutdown the
primary host (shutting down a VM is easiest if possible). It will be
painfully obvious that the timeouts are going to be a problem.

Linux kernel config options at startup (RedHat/CentOS, not sure about
other distros):
net.ipv4.tcp_syn_retries = 0
net.ipv4.tcp_retries2 = 1

You can change these options while the system is running:
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syn_retries
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_retries2

Since not all systems will have options to change these timeouts and
retries, I +1 the need for an alarm thread in the proxy.

Follow ups