myunity team mailing list archive

Re: Updates about MyUnity

Al 21/11/11 10:34, En/na Andrea Colangelo ha escrit:
> Hi David!
>
> A few updates regarding MyUnity:
>
> - I uploaded the package into Archive a few days ago. It's in the NEW
> queue, I guess it will be approved soon.

Awesome, thanks Andrea for the update!

This will mean MyUnity will get into the archive for Precise, but as I
was suggesting the other day, why not get the best of both worlds and do
both (i.e. submit to the archive and to extras)?

This way MyUnity would be in extras for 11.10 and in the archive for 12.04.

We're trying to get more Open Source apps in extras and people to use
the Ubuntu App Developer site, so if you would like to consider
submitting MyUnity to https://myapps.developer.ubuntu.com and give us
some feedback on how the process worked for you, that'd be awesome.

> - MyUnity source code is now on a bzr branch on LP. [1]

Excellent.

> - Translations are our current issue. gambas has a pretty weird way to
> manage .po(t) files. As you can see, everything is in a hidden
> directory, .lang, and all translations are included within the binary
> blob after compilation. Then, the program will choose the language at
> runtime depending on the system locale. We wish to manage translations
> on LP, but unfortunately looks like the branch isn't automagically
> imported buy LP (probabily due to being hidden, or wrong naming scheme
> for files within).

It might be because it's hidden or because there are multiple .pot files
in the same directory. You should only have one .pot file in the
directory where translations are done.

Launchpad does not care what you do with translations at runtime, so you
can keep loading them the way Gambas expects.

The only thing you need is for your build system to:

a) Create a .pot file inside a (non-hidden) directory
b) Convert the .po files generated by Launchpad into .mo files

Or you can do this manually. But obviously, having the build system to
do it for you will be much easier in terms of automating the tasks.

I can help you setting up your project in Launchpad to start using
translations. I'll need to see how to best do it without you having to
modify too much your project layout (e.g. adding a po/FMain.pot
symlink), but let me come back to you once I've found out more.

In the meantime, though, you can upload translations manually to
Launchpad, so that they are exposed to Launchpad and translators can do
their work.

You only need to:

1. Create a tarball containing your .pot file and (optionally) any .po
file translations you might already have.
2. Upload it to the trunk series using the "upload" link at
https://translations.launchpad.net/myunity/trunk

This will get you started with translations already, until we find the
best way to automate it with automatic translation imports and exports.

 On the other side, english translation is now
> available, and next MyUnity release will add more languages. If you
> have suggestions to improve our management of translations or start
> using Rosetta, they will be greatly appreciated.

See above :)

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
David.