Re: Merging NewDocs with the Ubuntu documentation team

On 28/02/14 19:15, David Pires wrote:
> Hello team.
>

> On 25 February 2014 02:02, Svetlana Belkin <belkinsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:belkinsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Geoff, and all subscribers:
>
>     With regards to our discussion on #ubuntu-newdocs on February 14th
>     [1],
>     we are formally proposing to merge the NewDocs team to the umbrella
>     Ubuntu documentation team.
>
>     There are plenty advantages on this move, such as a more easy and
>     expedit information exchange between the NewDocs contributors and
>     other
>     wiki people. Merging the teams will make this project more accessible
>     for new contributors looking for ways to help and hopefully help the
>     maintaining burden for both the NewDocs contributors and wiki admins.
>     Ultimately, we hope the merging will bring new contributors to
>     both teams.
>
>     We will do our best to make the merge process a natural, and in many
>     ways, an expected one. Furthermore, we feel it is essential that
>     everybody who have contributed to NewDocs will continue their work
>     within the Ubuntu documentation team.
>
>     Also, along with this merge, we're proposing to rename the page in the
>     Community Help wiki to PopularPages, to be more discoverable and
>     meaningful. We will make sure the old page is redirected to the
>     new one
>     when this change takes place.
>
>     Thank you,
>     Svetlana and David
>
>     [1] http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2014/02/14/%23ubuntu-newdocs.html#t01:27
>

> Three days have elapsed since the sending of this email and facing the
> fact that no one has objected on the content of it, I gather that
> there are no argues from the team to what was proposed.
>
> Being so, me and knome will begin the process leading to the merge of
> the NewDocs team to the umbrella Ubuntu documentation team.
>
> It's intended to be a staged process and desirably without mishaps,
> beginning with the renaming of the wiki page name and then, gradually,
> deactivating the Launchpad team and its mailing list.

The wiki page is now renamed to PopularPages, and the old NewDocs page
is redirected to that page.

> Of course this means that both Leigh and Geoff should join the Ubuntu
> Documentation Contributors team
> <https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-doc-contributors> and the Ubuntu
> Documentation Project Team <https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-doc> and
> its mailing list.

Nobody should join the latter group directly, it's an umbrella project
for other teams. You will gain the membership of this group via the
former team.

> While this process is on, I'll edit the team Launchpad page
> alerting people to use the ubuntu-doc mailing list instead.
> Also, #ubuntu-ops will be asked to forward our channel to #ubuntu-doc
> channel.
>
> I think that covers it all and hope that this next step, and growth,
> of the project will make us all work harder on it's purpose, which is
> to make it a even better learning medium and resource tool, versatile
> and fast.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/slickymaster