From: "Donald D Dugger" <donald.d.dugger@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Joseph Suh" <jsuh@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "Sandy Walsh" <sandy.walsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, nova-orchestration@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 5:30:22 PM
Subject: RE: [Nova-orchestration] Dec 1st 2011 IRC Meeting

Joseph-

Tnx for looking at this, all comments are welcome (sorry for delay, vacation & power failure that took out my workstation slowed me down).

1)  Not sure exactly what your concern about the version comparison is.  There's no concept of a `version' per se in the policies and constraints, there is the concept if a string comparison and you could put a version into the metric database to be used as a version but, as you point out, any comparisons would be against a string.  You could break a version into multiple components, represent each component as an integer, and then do comparisons against the components which would accomplish most of what you want.

2)  I thought about putting in an OR operator but I'm resisting it so far.  Although you could come up with some uses for it I can't think of any compelling need for an OR operator and it would make things much more complex as we'd have to add precedence and grouping also.  It's doable but, until there's a compelling use case for it, I'd prefer to keep things simple.

--
Don Dugger