Re: Moving away from SQLAlchemy models? What?

I agree with Soren that big changes like this should occur after some
discussion (a thought that I rose on IRC last week).

I look forward to the discussion at the next summit about the ORM in
general, and specifically, these concerns about it I have:

1) Inconsistent (and sometimes incorrect) use of session boundaries in
the abstraction layer for sqlalchemy.  Peculiar bugs show up when
sessions aren't handled (passed between functions) properly or when
transactions are not reliable (NoSQL or when the RDBMS doesn't support
transactional statements like SELECT ... FOR UPDATE.
2) Shared code between Glance and Nova (and possibly Swift, but it's
less of an issue IMHO).  There is now a copy of the datastore adapter
from Nova in Glance (this was done to save time).  We will want to
pull this code out into openstack-common ASAP, as I really don't feel
like maintaining two copies of the datastore adapter layer ;)
3) The Model class itself.  The biggest issue is that the model class
does not live in the API layer; instead, it must be re-implemented for
each adapter.  I experienced the joy of trying to re-create the
existing SQLAlchemy-based NovaBase model class in the Redis adapter.
This was less than enjoyable.  If we choose to use a base model class,
it needs to address these fundamental issues *at a bare minimum*:
  a) The definition of data fields (versus non-data fields, private
fields, or calculated fields)
  b) The casting of SQL-like data types (CHAR, INT, BLOB, DATETIME,
etc) into data type that Python understands consistently.
  c) A model's understanding (or lack of understanding) of its
relationships with other types of models.
  d) The aforementioned debate about what is appropriate as a primary
key identifier for each model (UUID, URI, auto-inc, etc)

-jay