Re: Instance IDs and models in the ORM world

Jay,

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Have we considered using UUID or some sort of URI as the unique
> identifier for instances (and other objects in the system)?  Seems to
> me that the existing methods (str_id and similar) are trying to
> reinvent the primary key wheel somewhat for each API namespace.  Why
> not use UUID or URI and be done with it?  In other words, completely
> scrap the idea of using auto-incrementing keys...

As long as an identifier exists per instance that is translatable to and
from both API ID formats (so you can create an instance in API 1 and consume
it in API 2), I think this is a fine idea.  IANADBA though, so there may be
arguments in the other direction that I'm not aware of.

Michael

at abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.