novacut-community team mailing list archive

Announcing the Novacut 11.12 components

This was a shorter development cycle because this month we began a new
release process <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Novacut/ReleaseProcess>, which
includes a week-long quality step leading up to the release. The goal is to
deliver higher quality stable releases and to deliver them more smoothly.

Note that this week-long quality step wont cut into development time as
we'll be starting on the next month's release at the start of the quality
week. This is more just a change in how we time things, so that there's
time for both manual and automated testing to validate the release.
Shiny, shiny

All the same, this was an action packed month and we probably delivered
more exciting, user-visible change than any previous month. The crown jewel
is that we landed the first of the beautiful UI design work that James
Raymond <https://plus.google.com/100070870253962033333/posts?hl=en> has
been doing:

<http://cdn.novacut.com/dmedia-importing.png>

This month was all about Dmedia, and we made great progress there,
including getting video playback working inside our HTML5
UI<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkEB6mjDcXE>,
all thanks to GStreamer <http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/>.

But next month is going to be all about Novacut, and we seem on track to
land the first take of our cutting workflow. If you're interested in what's
in store, considere attending our next weekly IRC meeting, which will
resume on Sunday, January
8.<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Novacut/Meetings/2012-01-08>
Special thanks

   - Thanks to Robbt
<https://plus.google.com/108200721600578418548/about>for upgrading to
Ubuntu Precise for the sake of testing Novacut and Dmedia,
   and for documenting his notes on testing
Dmedia<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Novacut/Testing>
   - Thanks to David J.
Fulde<https://plus.google.com/u/0/103913700059567278291/posts>for
being
   awesome<http://philipbloom.net/2011/12/24/magic-lantern-releases-new-hdr-firmware-for-canon-t2i550d/>and
for providing priceless insight into my, "so how do you feel about
   Ubuntu?" question (his short answer: *very good*)
   - Thanks to Kelly Strawinski <https://twitter.com/#%21/Dotyfae> for
   helping to *incept* the idea that Ubuntu is in the
hizzy<http://vimeo.com/33698149>
   - Thanks to some mystery person and their kind mystery producer for
   sharing a glimpse of what Dmedia might look like when used on a real
   production set <http://cdn.novacut.com/dmedia-on-set.png>

Get the bits

Packages are available in the Novacut Stable Releases
PPA<https://launchpad.net/%7Enovacut/+archive/stable?field.series_filter=oneiric>for
Ubuntu Oneiric and Precise. And you can download the source code from
each component's Launchpad project page. Whoa, *seven* components and
counting:

   - novacut <https://launchpad.net/novacut>
   - dmedia <https://launchpad.net/dmedia>
   - filestore <https://launchpad.net/filestore>
   - microfiber <https://launchpad.net/microfiber>
   - userwebkit <https://launchpad.net/userwebkit>
   - usercouch <https://launchpad.net/usercouch>
   - dc3 <https://launchpad.net/dc3>

Contribute to 12.01 and beyond!

We always release on the last Thursday of the month. The 12.01 components
will be released on Thursday January 26, 2012, and development is already
underway. To see what's in store for the next releases, checkout the 12.01
milestones:

   - novacut 12.01 <https://launchpad.net/novacut/+milestone/12.01>
   - dmedia 12.01 <https://launchpad.net/dmedia/+milestone/12.01>
   - userwebkit 12.01 <https://launchpad.net/userwebkit/+milestone/12.01>

That's all, folks!

Thanks to everyone who is helping make this dream a reality!
Cheers,
Jason Gerard DeRose <https://plus.google.com/114471118004229223857/posts>