novacut-community team mailing list archive

Novacut 12.05

Although we made the release on-time, we were still in Hong Kong at Linaro
Connect, so I didn't have the chance to write the release notes till today.
But while in Hong Kong, Nicolas Charbonnier was kind enough to video a 15
minute demo of Dmedia and
Novacut.<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWAdyS4pDG0>To tie it all
together, we demoed with footage from when I
interviewed Nicolas <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF0IpOX_aUg> earlier
that day.

Between the Ubuntu Developer Summit <http://uds.ubuntu.com/> and Linaro
Connect <http://connect.linaro.org/>, there wasn't as much development time
this month. But these events gave us the chance to get most of the team
together face-to-face, test our software, and earn some much-needed cash
while still doing something Novacut-related.
What's New

Most of the changes this month were under-the-hood in Dmedia. We fixed the
issue where the Dmedia importer would
hang<https://bugs.launchpad.net/dmedia/+bug/994359>if you had Magic
Lantern installed. Auto-formatting is still turned off in
the stable release, but we nearly completed the work needed to properly
restore Magic Lantern <https://bugs.launchpad.net/dmedia/+bug/907600> after
an auto-format. We also landed experimental sync between your different
devices <https://bugs.launchpad.net/dmedia/+bug/990733> on the same local
network, an important step toward the Novacut Cloud beta.

I also laid out our plans for large-scale automated testing with real-world
video files.<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114471118004229223857/posts/AEK3iTtFbjN>Currently
Novacut has fairly good reliability, but we've basically relied
on manual testing to test with real-world video files, and that doesn't cut
it (hehe). Especially as we add more features, manual testing simply isn't
a viable way to ensure the reliability that professionals need. This
testing will focus on GStreamer <http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/> and
libav <http://libav.org/> and wont be Novacut-specific, so it will benefit
every app that builds on these multimedia foundations.
Special Thanks

Special thanks to Canonical <http://www.canonical.com/> and
Linaro<http://www.linaro.org/>for hiring us to film, and special
thanks to David
J. Fulde <https://plus.google.com/u/0/103913700059567278291/posts>, James
Raymond <https://plus.google.com/u/0/100070870253962033333/posts>, David
Jordan <https://plus.google.com/u/0/101813889111560624054/posts>, and Tara
Oldfield <https://plus.google.com/u/0/117647229006247247428/posts> for the
heroic amount of filming and editing.
Install Novacut 12.05

Please follow these
instructions<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Novacut/HowToInstall>to install
Novacut on Ubuntu
12.04 LTS <http://www.ubuntu.com/>. Note that if you've already installed a
previous version of Novacut, you'll automatically get Novacut 12.05 the
next time the Ubuntu Update Manager runs.

If you're trying Novacut for the first time, you probably want to
start by watching
this <https://vimeo.com/groups/novacutartistdiaries/videos/41021506> so you
understand a bit about Dmedia, and then watch
this<https://vimeo.com/groups/novacutartistdiaries/videos/41021504>to
get a good tour of Novacut.
Source code

You can download the source code from each component's Launchpad project
page:

   - novacut <https://launchpad.net/novacut>
   - dmedia <https://launchpad.net/dmedia>
   - filestore <https://launchpad.net/filestore>