novacut-community team mailing list archive

Novacut 12.04, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

I'm happy to introduce you to both Novacut
12.04<https://vimeo.com/groups/novacutartistdiaries/videos/41021504>and
Ubuntu
12.04 LTS <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6z6hn6wZlg>:

 <http://cdn.novacut.com/Dmedia-12.04-1.jpg>

 <http://cdn.novacut.com/Dmedia-12.04-3.jpg>

 <http://cdn.novacut.com/Novacut-12.04-2.jpg>

 <http://cdn.novacut.com/Novacut-12.04-4.jpg>
Backer list

I really apologize about this, but no backer list this month. We were
fixing bugs and serious usability issues right up to the release, and there
are still a few glaring usability issues we didn't get to. So in the end,
this month didn't seem like the right time to add the backer list on our
website and in the editor. For me, I kinda see the backer list as the
delivery of our good, so I want it to feel *special*.

Heck, considering how hard we all work on this, and how much we deeply
appreciate our 802 Kickstarter backers, and everyone who supported us
through PayPal, everyone who backed our first Kickstarter (the one that
failed), our friends and family who have loaned us money countless times,
every journalist who gave us the time of day, everyone in the open-source
community who encouraged us and offered us guidance, the epic efforts of Ian
Hex <http://www.design-by-izo.com/2011/06/27/novacut-brand-identity-design/>,
the artists who made videos like
this<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVrnKRQVsoE>and
this <https://vimeo.com/26890927> to help explain Novacut to other artists,
not to mention the zillion artists who have taken the time to help us
understand what you need... I don't want this backer list to just feel *
special*, I want it to feel down right *ceremonial.*

To be clear, once said goods (cloud beta too!) are delivered, that's not
the end of the Novacut story. It's just when we level-up at the end of a
meaty chapter. Remember, we see tools like the editor as just a means to an
end. Personally speaking, I don't want a video editor, I want more Firefly.
Which is perfect as I'm certain that no artist really *wants* a video
editor either... they want to tell their story, get it to market, and earn
a living doing so. And not get canceled by Fox.

I also want all the Fireflies that should have been but weren't because
they got jammed up by some gatekeeper. You might think of Novacut as our
take on OCD fandom writ large. And we think a darn good business model, one
that can fund the development of tools like the editor for many decades to
come.

Where does *all* the value in the entertainment industry come from?
Artists. So we're here to serve artists, period.
Try it!

There are still rough-spots. Multicam and audio have yet to come. Novacut
will continue to get better every month. But all the same, I still think
that *now* is a great time to see what all the fuss is about.

It's *wonderfully* easy to install software through the Ubuntu Software
Center <http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/features/ubuntu-software-centre>.
However, as Novacut isn't yet in any official Ubuntu software channel, the
process is a touch more difficult.

So to kick the tires, please follow these
instructions<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Novacut/HowToInstall>to install
Novacut on Ubuntu
12.04 LTS <http://www.ubuntu.com/>. Just ask us if you need help or get
stuck!

You probably want to start by watching
this<https://vimeo.com/groups/novacutartistdiaries/videos/41021506>so
you understand a bit about Dmedia, and then watch
this <https://vimeo.com/groups/novacutartistdiaries/videos/41021504> to get
a good tour of Novacut.
Source code

You can download the source code from each component's Launchpad project
page:

   - novacut <https://launchpad.net/novacut>
   - dmedia <https://launchpad.net/dmedia>
   - filestore <https://launchpad.net/filestore>
   - microfiber <https://launchpad.net/microfiber>
   - userwebkit <https://launchpad.net/userwebkit>
   - usercouch <https://launchpad.net/usercouch>
   - dc3 <https://launchpad.net/dc3>

This is just the beginning Think about that. Thank you, everyone!