nssbackup-team team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #62529]: why conflict with sbackup?

Question #62529 on NSsbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/62529

Jean-Peer Lorenz proposed the following answer:
Hey Anton,

very nice. Help is always appreciated.

Some final comments:

>vanilla tar has an option for multi-volume backups

NSsbackup supports uncompressed multi-volume backups create with TAR.
However (AFAIK) does TAR currently not support compressed multi-volume
backups and I think it takes quite a long time till this feature will be
supported by TAR. For this reason I've created a blueprint
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+spec/use-dar-for-backups)
for using DAR as a long-term goal. This would indeed solve quite a lot
of problems/feature requests. But before starting any work on this I
think the most important aim is to make NSsbackup a stable piece of
software, to merge it with sbackup and to enhance all the documentation
stuff. Many usecases can be well covered by using TAR. Moreover some
modifications on the software's infrastructure will be necessary.

>auto-detect the max filesize

Yes, I think this would be useful and feasible but has low priority.
Maybe you create a blueprint for this?!

>verification of the backup

This must be done next (with high priority). I hope, the TAR included
`verify` functionality can be used (see
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+spec/integrity-check),

For translations have a look at NSsbackup's translations site within
Launchpad. You can easyly contribute and you are allways asked to send
suggestions for string replacements (better suited strings for the
application - so anybody can understand what is meant by an option, text
field etc.)

Thank you for your interest.
Best regards. Jean-Peer

NSsbackup team, which is an answer contact for NSsbackup.