nssbackup-team team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #143229]: Mount tape drive error

Question #143229 on Simple Backup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/143229

Jeff Lane proposed the following answer:
Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you regarding Simple Backup,
but I can tell you this, you can't "mount" a tape drive.  Tapes are not
block devices, they are character devices, and can't be mounted as you
know it.  If I recall, you need to install mt tools to use the tape
drives (maybe it's mt-st, I don't recall now, it's been a while since I
ran SuSE or SLES).

In fact, a quick (and I mean very quick) look through the source for
sbackup doesn't reveal any sort of code to actually handle tape
drives... I wonder if it really just writes to disk or remote
(nfs/samba) shares.

I'm willing to bet you will only be able to back-up to mounted block
devices (disks and NFS/Samba shares) and if you want to put those on
tape drive, you'll need mt-st and write your own shell scripts to
actually put things on tape and retrieve them.

But that's only after a very cursory look though the source code for
sbackup, so ymmv.  but I did find this comment in
core/SnapshotManager.py that leads me to this conclusion:

:todo: Think about a plugins system that will be used to export on\
               TAPE, on DVD and so on.

Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for Simple Backup.