nunit-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Merge Changes Experiment

Hi Paul,

Thanks for coming. (Paul joined in response to my plea
on the lauchpad-users list)

> > Sergey and I have experimented with merging changes using the
> > nunit-summary project - http://launchpad.net/nunit-summary.
> >

> This is great!  Prepare to be amazed at how your code changes
> after doing peer reviews.

Well, this one is an adhoc project so could use a lot of review.

> > As you can see, I own the project. Sergey branched from it and made
> > some changes. His personal branch is at
> > http://code.launchpad.net/~sergey.popov/+junk/nunit-summary-psg
> >
> > He expected to see the "Propose for merging into another branch"
> > link but doesn't have it.
> >
> > Does anyone know why it's not there and what he should do
> to propose a
> > merge? Other than telling me about it, that is.
>
> The problem is that it's a junk branch.

That makes sense. Who wants to merge junk. :-)

> Sergey needs to push
> to lp:~sergey.popov/nunit-summary/nunit-summary-psg.  Junk
> branches should be used for things that don't have a
> Launchpad project already.  I use junk branches when I'm
> trying out a new idea.  If there's already a project on LP
> for it, push there.  Then you'll see "Propose for merging".
>
> Out of curiosity Sergey, what made you think you needed to
> push a junk branch in this case?  Is there something unclear
> here that we need to remedy?

I'm not Sergey, but I remember doing that early on as well.
I think it's hard to get your head around the idea that
*anyone* can own a branch of *any* project.

Charlie