nunit-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Maintaining NUnit 2.5

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:28:37 -0700, "Charlie Poole" <charlie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> However, one of the folks working on the bug has let me
> know that the problem only applies to incremental updates.
> It *is* possible for us to re-import the NUnit 2.5 head
> to Launchpad and even to continue updating it so long as
> we are working only on Head - as I had already planned.

I can't remember if NUnit 2.5 was CVS or SVN.  If it's svn, the import should
be pretty straigtforward.  If it's CVS, it would probably require a bit more,
but not too much.

> Option 1 - Leave 2.5 on Sourceforge
> We would continue to accept bugs on 2.5 and maintain it
> separately there. If the same bugs applied to 3.0, I
> guess we would have to enter them manually and work
> on them separately. At least that's the only way I
> know how to do it. :-)

You can always set up bug watches on Launchpad that will allow you to create a
bug on LP and SF, and then when the SF bug changes, it can be updated in
LP.

> Option 2 - Import 2.5 to Launchpad and work on it there.
> We'd also want to handle bugs on Launchpad, which (I
> believe) would make it possible for us to mark them
> as affecting both projects. I think we can also import
> the old bugs when cutting over.

Yeah, you can have bugs that affect both projects.

> Option 3 - Leave 2.5 on Sourceforge but re-instate
> the mirror so that the source code is more accessible.
> Frankly, I don't see that this has much benefit, since
> we would really rather focus on 3.0 - not encourage
> more development of 2.5.

You could always just keep resyncing it, but that's kind of a pain.  I've tried
this myself before, and it becomes a maintenance nightmare.

> I guess what it comes down to is this: "Would it be
> easier to maintain 2.5 and merge changes if we had
> the code on Launchpad?"
>
> Some technical issues:
>
> * There would be no true relationship between our
>   branch of 2.5 and any 3.0 branches. Would we still
>   be able to apply the same fixes - at least while
>   they have not significantly diverged?

Even on the import, you probably wouldn't be able to *easily* apply the fixes
to both branches, because they really don't have the same revisions in them.
Patch would be your best bet, although there is some arcane bzr command that
will attempt it (and it's never worked for me).

> * How can we easily get our bugs into Launchpad?

The bugs guys can import them.  Asking a question on the launchpad-bugs
project is a good start.

Cheers,
Paul