nunit-dev team mailing list archive

Maintaining NUnit 2.5

Hi All,

As you know, a rather difficult-to-solve launchpad bug has
put an end to our mirroring of NUnit 2.5 from Sourceforge
to Launchpad.

However, one of the folks working on the bug has let me
know that the problem only applies to incremental updates.
It *is* possible for us to re-import the NUnit 2.5 head
to Launchpad and even to continue updating it so long as
we are working only on Head - as I had already planned.

This gives us some options and I'm looking for advice on
how you think we should proceed.

Option 1 - Leave 2.5 on Sourceforge
We would continue to accept bugs on 2.5 and maintain it
separately there. If the same bugs applied to 3.0, I
guess we would have to enter them manually and work
on them separately. At least that's the only way I
know how to do it. :-)

Option 2 - Import 2.5 to Launchpad and work on it there.
We'd also want to handle bugs on Launchpad, which (I
believe) would make it possible for us to mark them
as affecting both projects. I think we can also import
the old bugs when cutting over.

Option 3 - Leave 2.5 on Sourceforge but re-instate
the mirror so that the source code is more accessible.
Frankly, I don't see that this has much benefit, since
we would really rather focus on 3.0 - not encourage
more development of 2.5.

I guess what it comes down to is this: "Would it be
easier to maintain 2.5 and merge changes if we had
the code on Launchpad?"

Some technical issues:

* There would be no true relationship between our
  branch of 2.5 and any 3.0 branches. Would we still
  be able to apply the same fixes - at least while
  they have not significantly diverged?

* How can we easily get our bugs into Launchpad?

Charlie

Follow ups