ooc-dev team mailing list archive

Global performance and shootout

Hello ooc people,

I think most of you have heard about the Computer Language Benchmarks Games [1]. This website compares performance of programming languages through micro benchmarks on an Intel Q6600 32 and 64 Ubuntu, as well one as four cores. Whereas these benchmarks don't show performance in real world use-cases, I think it's a good place to imagine languages efficiency and speed.

An idea would be to write these tests in OOC. Why ? To estimate the gap between plain-C and OOC, between Vala and OOC[3] and to have (others) ready-mix tests allowing us to discover easily performance regressions.

How to contribute and submit ooc benchmarks ? All seems to be explained on the help page[4].

I listen you about your opinions. If you think the idea is interesting, I'll hope I can help but I fear I haven't necessary skills until some times.

1 : [http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/]
2 : [http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/fastest-programming-language.php]
3 : [http://code.google.com/p/vala-benchmarks/] : Vala seems to have been rejected from the benchmarks games but this Google code project helps to see where is placed Vala against C, C++ and C# Mono and to retrieve code examples.
4 : [http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/help.php]