ooc-dev team mailing list archive

Re: SDK, batteries included and Unix principles

Hah, no answers on such an interesting topic =)

Well, 'batteries included' is interesting but hardly sustainable in the long
term. Besides, imho the ooc module system (especially with use files) makes
it easy enough to split into a kazillion libs. I only wish
nirvana/meatshops/reincarnate would become more mainstream. Maybe when fred
gets back.

There are still some areas where I'm not sure whether to include something
or not in the SDK. UTF-8 is a good example: we can either go with utf8proc
(quite lightweight, but with limited support), or go full-blown using ICU,
but that's a huge dependency. My opinion is that it should be opt-out, so
that embedded setups are still pretty easy to achieve.

What are you thinking, llamaistas[1]?

Amos (nddrylliog)

[1] (c) 2010 fredreich 'python, me?' bier.