openerp-brazil-team team mailing list archive

Fwd: openerp localization module

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Raphaël Valyi <rvalyi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2010/11/3
Subject: Re: openerp localization module
To: Nicolas Vanhoren <nicolas.vanhoren@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Fabien Pinckaers <fp@xxxxxxxxxxx>, renato lima <
renato.lima@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Olivier Dony <odo@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Nicolas!

Arrggghh too bad you didn't contact us (remember, you can call me with
raphael.valyi on skype or the contacts mentioned here
http://www.akretion.com/en/contact ) , we have been working like mads the
last week to refactor the localization in more more modular way (especially
in the idea to have a great quality), please you should absolutely use that
branch now:
https://code.launchpad.net/~openerp-brazil-team/openerp.pt-br-localiz/l10n_br_modularized

This branch is mostly a simple refactoring consisting in splitting the
modules properly. Please update your merge, we invested around 6 man months
in the Brazilian localization, we don't want OpenERP S.A. to freeze it in a
bad shape, we have just deployed that new branch at 4 customers and even
spend 2 days migrating one customer in production to the new branch, so we
absolutely need that new branch! It would be terrible if your packaging
force us, the localization author, to start crappy projects because people
wouldn't start their project right on the modular solution. We think the
modular solution is a lot better, the reason we didn't do it better was more
because of a lack of resource. Now that we made that tremendous effort,
including to deal with our production customers, it would be great to
promote it as the standard, not the contrary (think about that: I've
deployed OpenERP around 10 times and it took me 2 days to migrate the
customer. If you don't provide the right module already in v6, how many
companies will fail to migrate to the modular version when there will be no
other choice...)

I think you can merge only some modules (like l10n_br_base at least). If you
look at the size of the modules, I do not recommend you merge the _data*
modules (contains all the streets of Brazil, fiscal classification of
products etc... those are lots of Mb). Merging the extra addons in
dependence would also be a nice start as they could be used by other
localizations.

You have the first announcement of our refactoring work in the Brazilian
mailing list:
https://lists.launchpad.net/openerp-brazil-team/msg01061.html
Google would try to translate it for you into (not perfect because
my Portuguese isn't perfect):
http://translate.google.com.br/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=pt-BR&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=pt&tl=en&u=https://lists.launchpad.net/openerp-brazil-team/msg01061.html

Can you update your merge to the right modules and explain us how can we
update them in the regular distro then?
Thank you very much for your time and sorry, for the inconvenience. But you
know yesterday was a day off in Brazil and I worked until 3 AM as you can
see in the mailing list, it's really not like we forgot to notify you about
the refactoring, but just that we were working like mads.

Can you please tell us what you can do about that refactoring?

Raphaël Valyi
Founder and ERP Consultant
+55 21 3010 9965
http://www.akretion.com