Re: Injustice, plagiarism and insult of community work

Hello Shabbir ji,

I think the confusion here is you are talking about this module:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openerp-community/openobject-addons/trunk-addons-community/revision/44#poweremail/poweremail_inv.py<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Eopenerp-community/openobject-addons/trunk-addons-community/revision/44#poweremail/poweremail_inv.py>

It clearly has my name as the author and Pragmatic as the company since this
was authored at the time i worked at Pragmatic.
The only mistake done by me was I reused the same name 'poweremail' for a
new module which was totally built from scratch.
The work is just an implementation of osv_memory specifically for sale_order
and account_invoice. It does not even work with other models. It would be
like comparing the new magento corrector with the original smile one because
both does the basic job of connecting to magento and the same developer was
involved in both. (But just like the poweremail the new magento connect is
really powerful and different). I think it would be injustice again to
compare the works by me (and other colleagues at Pragmatic) to the
Poweremail as we see it today built by the Open ERP community. The said
module (linked above) was removed by me couple of months back to avoid
ambiguity since the module was never maintained and bugs were being reported
about the same.

Me or my company has never claimed that we are the 'owners' of Poweremail
despite being the largest contributors. It is a community driven project and
I happen to lead the project. The copyrights dont talk about my company
either.The claims of contribution can be verified by any body from the
launchpad statistics available here
https://launchpad.net/poweremail/+topcontributors . You can see couple of
names of other Pragmatic employees also in the list but as you would
understand its too low to be highlighted in the docs or the presentations
that were done (The first name Sudha Sharma is 18th in the overall list). I
am sure that pragmatic would have been highlighted if there was consistent
contribution and looking forward to your team contributing more to the
initiative in the coming days.

I request all your attention to the important issue here where all of us
have to fear if this project is on its way to becoming another proprietary
solution. I believe that this re-coding effort is to ensure that the entire
main code base of Open ERP remains under the copyright of Open ERP SA. If a
license change was possible over 1 day from GPL to AGPL, I would not be
surprised to see another to make it proprietary.

Further to clarify my own standpoint on the issue, these criticisms is not
to provoke an anti-Open ERP'ism, but to humbly insist and persuade Open ERP
to change its policies and attitudes to be 'open' ERP. I hope fabien and the
Open ERP management will come out with a bold initiative to correct the
path.

Cheers!