Towards a contributor agreement for OpenERP

Hi,

In the forum topic on dual license community modules [1] we, like others before us pointed out that OpenERP SA was not entitled to relicense code from outside contributors. We were contacted afterwards by Olivier Dony who asked us whether we would be willing to assign copyright of our contributions to OpenERP SA. As we believe that this is a topic that is relevant for the whole community, we choose to answer through the community mailing list.

Here at Therp we recognize the special role that OpenERP SA has played in the development of the OpenERP framework. Just as well, the open source model and the community around the OpenERP have also been major factors in the success of OpenERP. We want to grant OpenERP SA the ability to benefit from their efforts, as long as it does not harm the other factors.

OpenERP SA seems to have uncovered a new business model with its new offer to sell its products under a non-AGPL license to those companies who are afraid of losing a competitive advantage in their specific business area. This way the customer can escape the obligation that can arise under certain circumstances under the AGPL, to distribute any modules that were developed specifically for him. If we can support the development of the OpenERP products by licensing our contributions for this specific purpose, we are willing to do so, preferably by means of a contributor agreement that clearly describes the rights and obligations of both the contributor and OpenERP SA.

As for assigning copyright to OpenERP SA as requested by Olivier, or even giving a very broad license to OpenERP SA on our contributions, this would allow OpenERP SA to come up with all kinds of scenarios that we might not endorse. A single commercial entity can simply not be trusted to act in the best interest of an open source community. An elegant solution for this is to have a meritocratic membership foundation for OpenERP as there is for Plone to decide about these things and negotiate on behalf of the community. We would probably agree to assign joint ownership (rather than the actual copyrights) to such a foundation. If anything, this issue clearly demonstrates the need for the OpenERP community to organize themselves in such a way. As it is however, we will not assign copyright to OpenERP SA, and the contributor agreement should explicitely mention the limitations of the license that we grant to OpenERP SA on our code to reflect the purpose mentioned above (i.e. sell a non-AGPL license to individual customers so that they do not have to share their own customizations).

What we specifically do not want to allow, is for OpenERP SA to branch off a proprietary version that include bug fixes and functionality that lacks from the open source version or is added only after a deliberate delay. The contributor agreement should therefore include a commitment from OpenERP SA to always make the source code of the product and of any product derived from it available under the AGPL in a machine readable form.

Therp invites OpenERP SA to offer us a contributor agreement along these lines so that we can continue to support OpenERP properly for new and existing customers, contribute our bugfixes and patches and be a good citizen in the OpenERP community as well as supporting OpenERP SA in their business model.

On behalf of the Therp team,
Stefan Rijnhart

[1] http://www.openerp.com/forum/topic26369.html

--
Therp - Maatwerk in open ontwikkeling

Stefan Rijnhart - Ontwerp en implementatie

mail: stefan@xxxxxxxx
tel: +31 (0) 614478606
web: http://therp.nl

Follow ups