Re: Towards a contributor agreement for OpenERP

Dear Stefan, thank you bringing up this topic. Thank you Fabian for answering the questions raised.

The main question for me is still not asked and answered. Despite all communication done already from the start of the announcement in this dual license issue. To start with a side issue, where does OpenERP SA hide there community manager(s)? At least I had expect a main role for them in communicating with us. It seems that this topic is now so hot and controversial that they are not taken the lead anymore and the CEO himself is coming to the front line to explain. At least for me all communication makes it not more clear at all.

What me bothers most in the route OpenERP SA is taking, with this dual licensing and the rumor it generates in the community (fully understandable), is that it seems that OpenERP SA is looking only to it's own position and does forget the position of it's community/contributors/partners. Developing a ERP system is one thing, implementing an ERP system is a total different thing. The eco-system arround the product OpenERP is build with implementing and maintenance services mainly done by companies other then OpenERP SA.
From there the revenues will flow upwards via partner- and maintenance
contracts etc..

And now my main problem:
Such a service company needs a stable basis (read OpenERP product, OpenERP SA, licenses, contracts) to build such a business on. There should be a well defined stable route, in development, in legal documents like contracts and licenses whereas these companies can trust on to develop there own long term business strategy.
Right now starting from the development of version 6 (or is it the capital fund injection?) these companies are overwhelmed with fundamental changes is licenses and contracts. Our businesses will be affected with these changes and we are forced to deal with this if we want to secure our investments done. My related problem is that there was no open discussion with these companies so important in this eco-system to discus and bring up together a solution where democratic decision making is done for the route to go resulting in that our investments are secured too.

The risk now is that these companies (some more or less) will re-investigate if OpenERP is still trust-full and stable enough to build there own business on. What will be the next change we have to deal with? Will it finally break my own business? Do I have (enough) time to change my business strategy? What to do with my current customer contracts? Despite the potential of the product the answer could be that I don't trust this eco-system anymore to build my whole business on. In that case there are other open-source ERP's, yes with different licenses and different contracts but business-wise a more stable eco-system where I can better relay on to build your own business on. I have to make a living too and are responsible for eventually in-house employees as well.

With other words, talk, listen and interact with your community to overcome problems faced when going forward before acting in changes that will affect those companies. Right now OpenERP SA is starting to breaking down it's eco-system and if that's going to continue OpenERP SA will reach the opposite on the long term as it is trying to accomplish right now.

Side-note: It is not necessary to sell a product to every customer. If a customer can't deal with open-source AGPL licence he is free to choose a other product/solution. Mostly it is better to stick to your own principles (read AGPL) the trying to make everyone happy (read AGPL+provate use). The latter can sometimes be more destructive then anticipated on forehand!

Met vriendelijke groet,

*Veritos - Open Source Business Solutions
Jan Verlaan CPIM*