Re: Towards a contributor agreement for OpenERP

Albert,

I was not talking about nan in my email. I have a lot of respect for nan
which is a very good company and that share a good open source vision.

> So, guys, don't be confused by what's being said; some activists are
> motivated by something else than creating a strong product and community
> on OpenERP. We always hear the same people criticising, they do not
> represent the community.
> This "they want to fuck us with no real reason" is nonsense, at least
> if you include NaN in this.

I do not. Why should I say that from nan, you contributed a lot and you
are fair on what you say.

> I saw so much good contributors going not open when starting to talk about
> money (axelor, sharoon, pragtech, ...) That's why I am afraid to give a
> copyright to that kind of people that could lock OpenERP in the future.
> I fully agree with you in this. When starting to talk about money
>ome have tried to create closed developments, web interfaces or plugins
>or other applications. Even some have created a closed migration process!
> You're absolutely right: "we should be afraid to give a copyright to
> that kind of people that could lock OpenERP in the future."

I know we disagree on that.

But you can not compare selling a module and selling a migration service.
We are not in favor of selling modules, but selling services is good for
theproduct. Each migration requires us several hours of work. A migration
service is like a bugfix or a support service, it's several hours of work
per request. I am sure you will discover that doing a migration costs
always times and money: even with the promess of tryton, you will rarely
succeed to migrate without wasting time on it.

PS: may be I should explain what you call the sensorship on the mailing
list.
We think the partner list must be moderated as we had a lot of partners that
unsubscribed because they say there are too much noise on the list. We have
mainly directors in this list, they don't want to waste time on
unconstructive discussions. So we often apply moderation (not sensorship)
to keep the list focused on business topics. We moderate: if it's a support
question, technical issues on openerp, promotion of commercial offers,
complaints (about openerp or another partner). I would say that we moderate
about 30% of the mails.

In order to avoid frustrations like you had, we have now an automated
message that explains the reasons why me moderate to the author.

Our goal is not to censor the community as you say. They are others
channel that are not moderated like the community list and the forum.
We just want to use the right channel for the right purpose and avoid
to create noise for partners.

It's a pity that those misunderstandings created frustrations between us.
I hope we will be able to collaborate efficiently again.

--
Fabien Pinckaers
CEO OpenERP