Re: Enterprise Warranty "technical" question.

On 09/11/11 19:26, Sprauer Christian wrote:
Hi Alan,

I have recently been in the details of arranging a maintenance contract with Openerp, I suggest you take your question directly your Openerp account manager for commercial aspects, they will be able to clarify things so you are not in "no contracts land". As it's the same db and code it shouldn't be problematic from a pricing perspective.

I don't think our Partner manager will know and I don't want to use up my customer's warranty time asking this question. I thought it would have come up before and someone would know if *technically* having a backup on a separate machine is OK.

I am surprised however, with your technical approach as you could loose up to one day of data in case of server crash with this setup. Why didn't you consider clustering db at postgres level ? ( note: we recently had a server power supply crash and got caught by surprise as we have availability penalties in some of our contracts). We started looking into postgres clustering to achieve a 5 min downtime or less in case of server crash, but we are only at the beginning....

Yes. we know that.

I'm aware of the various methods of replicating databases but for this customer a "warm standby" with a "less than 24hr data loss" is perfectly acceptable to them.

I would be happy to hear anyone else views on how to achieve high availability with openerp.

This would be a useful discussion - maybe start a new thread Christian?

Thanks

Alan