Re: Google Trends

On 01/07/2012 11:43 AM, Dominique Chabord wrote:
> Google trends provides completely absurd results most of the time.
> All these numbers confirm the rule.

As the name indicates, it provides information about search volume
"trends". You also have to select comparable terms, as for example
comparing "OpenERP" with "Oracle" makes little sense if you're
interested in the trends for Enterprise Management software: "Oracle" is
a keyword for hundreds of different products.
And take the results with a grain of salt, they only represent relative
"trends", not raw search volumes.

Read their FAQ for more info:
 http://www.google.com/intl/en/trends/about.html

> Le 07/01/2012 10:35, Eric Caudal a écrit :
>> By the way, somebody could enlighten a little bit on how to
>> interpret this information? (it seems that onlly OE is going
>> upward, which seems to me a little bit strange)

Many of the big products target a market that is quite saturated,
therefore their growth potential is much less than that of OpenERP.
This is not directly related to their profit, of course, and you can see
that they're also getting orders of magnitude more actual search volume
than OpenERP (quickbook->quickbookS!), even if that volume doesn't grow
as much in time.

At least this confirms that OpenERP has a continuous growth in terms of
search volume, correlated with the quickly growing number of users and
increasing community and partners network size :-)