Re: OpenERP 6.1 software stack and startup resources

On 01/10/2012 03:35 PM, Jonathan Vargas wrote:
> Thank you so much Olivier.
>
> I took a look at bugs in 6.0.3, for example, and I noticed that there
> are several bugs, but all of them are "Fix Released".

Yes this means the bugfix has been validated, merged and is/will be
included in a release. Usually there should also be one comment that
mentions when the bugfix was merged into the official branch.

> Where did these bug fixes go, to the same version where they appeared,
> or the next released version? The "Version" field in bugs represent the
> fix version or the bug's version?

It depends what you mean by "Version" field...

a. If you mean the "Milestone" field that is on the right of the bug
status bar, it indicates the expected version that will contain this
fix. For example bug 913902 [1] is an improvement that is already
included in the "trunk" development version, and will be part of OpenERP
6.1.

b. If you mean the extra "Affects" lines that may appear on bugs that
affect multiple versions, such as bug 794634 [2], these do indeed
indicate that a specific "series" or "branch" is affected by the bug. In
that case each "Affect" line will have its own expected Milestone too.
However in most cases the version at which the bug was detected is
simply indicated in the bug title, e.g [6.0] or [6.0.3].

We don't release patch versions (such as 6.0.4) very often at the moment
(every few months), but it is easy to grab the latest source code of the
corresponding branch, and tarball/binary packages are available on our
nightly build system[3].
Except for the version number, the latest 6.0 nightly builds are
identical to v6.0.4 if we were to release it now, for example.

> And, in case I want to submit a new bug, is there some kind of util for
> version and environment gattering to attach its info as part of the bug?

Not really, but the bug submission page contains a list of the important
details to mention in your bug report. And in case you encounter an
exception while using OpenERP, the error popup normally contains the
error trace and some environment info that you can directly copy/paste
at the end of the bug report.

> If I am not sure if something is a real bug or a miss-configuration
> issue still not detected, where should I ask first? forums, lp:answers,
> lp:bugs, this community list?

Yes, lp:answers, forums, IRC[4] and lp mailing-lists (including this
one) are good places to start.

If you don't get any confirmation one way or another you can eventually
report it as a new bug, the developer handling it will let you know...

> I would like to join and make a effective use of the community resources.

You're doing a good job of it already, apparently! :-)

[1] http://pad.lv/913902
[2] http://pad.lv/794634
[3] http://nightly.openerp.com
[4] http://www.openerp.com/irc/