Point of Sale hardware

Hi all,

I am starting to play around with the point of sale functionality, I got a little receipt printer (standard ESC/POS stuff) and I am interested in getting other POS hardware like scales/touchscreen/lights/cashdrawer. looking at the code it seems the web client talks back to the server via a proxy service to control the hardware (to get out of the webbrowser sandbox)

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openerp/openobject-addons/trunk/view/head:/point_of_sale/static/src/js/devices.js

it seems to connect to localhost:8069 by default, so I think some python is supposed to run on the till computer that provides a web interface to the hardware, as far as I can make out the code talks fine to an OpenERP server and calls bits of the PointOfSaleController controller class that is implemented as a stub in this file:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openerp/openobject-addons/trunk/view/head:/point_of_sale/controllers/main.py

so that gets called, but all it does is print out the content of the request, so for example the print_receipt method is defined like this:

    @openerp.addons.web.http.jsonrequest
    def  print_receipt(self,  request,  receipt):
        print  'print_receipt'  +  str(receipt)
        return

I think the intention is that this class would be extended with further modules to provide actual hardware interfaces (so it would send ESC/POS code to a USB attached printer for example)

So my questions now are as follows: have I understood this right? is there any documentation I should be looking at rather than reading the code? Has anyone got a PointOfSaleController class that drives real hardware?

Alan.

--
I work at http://libertus.co.uk

Follow ups